by Alex Meneses Miyashita
LATIN GRAMMYS: Nominations for the 8th annual Latin GRAM MY Awards were announced Aug. 29 in Miami.
- Dominican artist Juan Luis Guerra leads this year’s nominations with five nods—thanks to his album La llave de mi corazón —including Album of the Year, Best Merengue Album, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Tropical Song.
- Puerto Rican superstars Ricky Martin and duo Calle 13 earned four nominations each. Martin for Album of the Year, Best Male Pop Vocal Album, Best Long Form Music Video for MTV Unplugged and Record of the Year. Calle 13 for Album of the Year, Best Urban Music Album, Best Short Form Music Video and Best Urban Song.
- With three nominations are Miguel Bose, Franco De Vita, producer Carlos Jean, Kevin Johansen, Orishas and Zoe.
- With two nominations are Aterciopelados, Belinda, Bob Clearmountain, Daddy Yankee, Kinky, Ivete Sangalo, Tommy Torres and Caetano Veloso.
- Several other artists received nominations in one category, among them Pepe Aguilar, Beyoncé, Don Omar, Jorge Drexler, Ibrahim Ferrer, Intocable, La Quinta Estacion, Maná, Manu Chao, Vicentico, Gustavo Santaolalla, Alejandro Sanz and Shakira.
The Latin Recording Academy, which produces the Latin GRAMMY Awards, received more than 5,000 entries this year.
Its president, Gabriel Abaroa, stated, “It’s encouraging to see so many albums, songs and musicmakers getting due recognition from their peers, and it’s exciting to see unique collaborations breaking new ground in music.”
Awards will be given in 49 categories.
The event will take place Nov.8 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, broadcast live on Univisión starting at 8 p.m.
A complete list of nominees is available at www.grammy.com.
A limited number of tickets will be available to the public starting Sept. 13.