From the SF Department of Elections
SAN FRANCISCO, Sunday, November 3, 2019 – The Department of Elections will report preliminary and final election results for the November 5 election according to the schedule below.
Reporting Preliminary Results after the Close of Polls on Election Night
The Department will release the first preliminary summary report of election results at approximately 8:45 p.m. This report will provide the results from the vote-by-mail ballots that the Department received and processed before Election Day. With this first summary report, the Department will also release a preliminary Statement of the Vote, ranked-choice reports, and Cast Vote Record data.
At approximately 9:45 p.m., the Department will release a second summary report of results. The second report will add the initial votes received from polling places to the votes reported in the first results report. At approximately 10:45 p.m., the Department will issue a third summary results report that will add more votes from polling places received since the previous report. After all polling places have reported, the Department will release a final summary report as well as a second preliminary Statement of the Vote, ranked-choice reports, and Cast Vote Record data.
During the first and last reports on Election Night, and at 4 p.m. on any day after that during which ballots are counted, the Department will release the following preliminary reports:
- Statement of the Vote, showing a precinct-by-precinct breakdown of votes cast at polling places and by mail, including neighborhood and district breakdowns in the following formats:
- Ranked-choice reports for all ranked-choice voting contests, including those contests for which there are majority leaders, showing elimination of candidates until only two candidates remain, in the following formats:
- Round-by-round elimination reports in PDF, Excel, and XML formats
- Detailed round-by-round elimination reports in PDF, Excel, and XML formats
- Cast Vote Record is the raw data of all votes cast in the election, available in the following format:
On Election Night, preliminary results will be available from the following sources:
- sfelections.org – all results reports will be posted on the Department’s website
- San Francisco Government Television – SFGTV, Channel 26, will report summary results throughout the night in a news ticker during SFGTV programming
- City Hall, North Light Court – a large screen will display SFGTV programming that will show summary results; printed copies of the summary results reports will also be available
- Department of Elections, City Hall, Room 48 – printed copies of results reports will be available at the Department’s front counter (due to their length, the preliminary Statement of the Vote will not be printed).
- On Twitter @sfelections and Facebook.com/sfelections
Reporting Preliminary Results after Election Day
The Department will continue to process and count ballots after the Election Day. At 4 p.m. every day on which the ballots are counted, the Department will release updated results reports. On any days during which no ballots are counted, the Department will post a notice on sfelections.org stating that no update will be issued for a specified day or days.
Reporting Final Election Results
The Department will release final election results no later than December 3, the end of the canvass period. The Department will post the final results on sfelections.org and outside the Department’s office, City Hall, Room 48, as well as issue a press release and post information on social media.
A sample “zero” summary report posted at sfelections.sfgov.org/november-5-2019-election-results-summary includes a navigation path to webpages that will display the preliminary results posted on and after Election Night, and the final results posted after the election is certified.